Thursday, August 9, 2012

8 Tiny Dancers....

(Embyo 1 day after fertillization- Photo courtesy of NIH..gov)

Dear Baby(ies)-

Yesterday was a big day for our little family.  Our little family of two grew to include 8 of you.  You see baby(ies), yesterday was our retrieval day. After 3 weeks of medications (injectable medications I might add) to make my ovaries produce follicles, the doctor has to go and drain them.  What you hope is that each of those little sacs has an egg inside it.  I got a little bit worried last week because I didn't produce 20 follicles like some women do.  But, what I realized per Dr. Goldstein is that it's quality not quantity.  And my 9 follicles were little super stars.  When Dr. Goldstein went in to drain them, he got an egg from each one.  Wahoo!

After retrieval came fertilization....  I won't go into too much detail here.  We'll teach you about where babies from when you're a little older.  We got a call from our embyrologist today to let us know that 8 of our little embryos made it through the night.  What this means is that one of you wasn't quite strong enough to make it.... and while I was sad about this I was so glad 8 of you did.  What this means is that today we have 8 tiny little dancers spending quality time together in an incubator growing stronger and getting bigger so that Dr. Goldstein can transfer you into my uterus.  In case you are frightened that you might be sent to a family with a crazy Octomom- don't worry.  Dr. Goldstein only puts two in at a time. 

Even though you are just little cells right now.  I love you.   I already feel protective over you.  If I could I would go and hold you, but that would hurt you so I won't.  And I promise you this, I won't leave any one of you behind.  I will come back for each and every one of you- even if that means I spend tens of thousands of more dollars on IVF.  For you see you are my babies.

So tiny dancers, be strong and keep growing.  I can't wait to meet you.

Love,

Your Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment